Summer break presents a valuable opportunity for parents to invest in their child’s development and set them up for success in the upcoming school year – by establishing an individualized vision therapy program. While most individuals associate summer with relaxation and leisure, it can also be a productive time to address specific needs, such as vision-related challenges. A vision therapy program, offered by a qualified professional, can significantly benefit children who struggle with visual issues. By utilizing the summer break to begin a vision therapy program, parents can provide their child with the tools necessary to thrive academically and beyond.
Understanding Vision Therapy
Vision therapy is a customized program designed to enhance and improve visual skills and abilities. It goes beyond traditional eye exams and glasses, targeting the brain-eye connection to treat a variety of vision-related issues. Vision therapy programs at Family Vision Development Center are personalized for each individual patient, and can include a range of specialized techniques, exercises, and tools to develop or improve eye coordination, focus, tracking, perception, and visual processing skills.
Benefits of a Vision Therapy Program for School Success
Many parents don’t realize the wide-reaching effects a vision problem can have on a child. However, when a student has a vision issue, it can affect their success in school in a number of sometimes surprising ways. That is why diagnosing and correcting vision concerns as early as possible is so important. A vision therapy program can lead to improvements in many areas, including:
- Academic Success: Clear and efficient vision is crucial for academic achievement. In fact, children with vision-related challenges often struggle with reading, writing, comprehension, and overall academic performance. A vision therapy program can address these issues by improving eye teaming and tracking, allowing children to read more comfortably, with better focus, accuracy, and comprehension. These enhanced visual skills can directly translate into improved academic performance.
- Increased Confidence: Children who struggle with visual issues may experience a decline in self-esteem and confidence. The challenges they face can make them feel inadequate compared to their peers. By undergoing vision therapy, children can overcome these obstacles, leading to increased confidence in their abilities. As they witness their progress and become more comfortable with their visual skills, their self-esteem will grow, positively impacting various aspects of their lives, including their academic performance and social interactions.
- Improved Sports Performance: Many sports rely heavily on visual abilities, such as hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and peripheral vision. Engaging in a vision therapy program during summer break can help children develop these skills, preparing them to excel in sports activities when the school year begins. The visual skills that are improved in vision therapy can give them a competitive edge, improve reaction times, and boost overall performance on the playing field.
- Reduced Eye Strain and Fatigue: Prolonged screen time, which has become increasingly common among children, can strain the eyes and lead to fatigue and discomfort. Vision therapy programs incorporate exercises to alleviate eye strain caused by digital devices. By completing these exercises during summer break, children can alleviate eye fatigue, making them better equipped to handle prolonged screen time when school resumes.
- Enhanced Concentration and Focus: Certain vision problems can cause a child to frequently lose their place when reading, confuse similar letters and words or maintain clear vision at close or far distances. These challenges can lead to an inability to concentrate and stay focused in the classroom or when trying to complete homework. A vision therapy program is an effective way to improve these visual deficiencies and help a child to improve their ability to absorb information, complete assignments and participate actively in the classroom.
Visit Family Vision Development Center for a Summer Vision Therapy Program
Utilizing summer break to have your child complete a vision therapy program is a proactive step towards ensuring their success in the upcoming school year. By addressing visual challenges, children can unlock their full potential academically, gain confidence, and excel in various areas of their lives. At Family Vision Development Center, we have advanced training in a number of vision therapy techniques in order to provide the most customized treatment options for each patient. Contact us at 630-862-2020 to discover all of the benefits of the right vision therapy program.
Family Vision Development Center is a full-service vision center offering innovative vision therapy services, post-concussive vision rehabilitation, comprehensive vision exams for eyeglasses and contact lenses, management of ocular diseases including glaucoma, diabetes, macular degeneration and cataracts, and a state-of-the-art optical center offering the latest designs in eyewear.