Vision plays such an important role in our everyday lives. So for those who experience vision difficulties, proper treatment can have a significant impact on their overall quality of life. Vision therapy is a very effective option for restoring proper visual function. However, many people believe that only young kids can benefit from the treatment. But that is not true! Vision therapy programs are tailored to meet the individual needs of each patient, and therefore can provide important benefits at any age.
Vision Therapy in Elementary School – Laying the Foundation for Learning
For children in elementary school, vision plays a critical role in their education and overall development. During this stage, they are learning to read, write, and grasp fundamental concepts that they will use for the rest of their lives. Vision therapy can be very beneficial for children in this age group by helping in the following areas:
- Improve School Performance – Vision therapy can help identify and address vision problems that may be affecting a child’s ability to read and write effectively. Conditions like convergence insufficiency (difficulty focusing on close objects) or tracking problems (difficulty following lines of text) can be treated through vision therapy. By improving these visual skills, children can perform better in school.
- Enhance Visual Skills – Vision therapy not only corrects vision problems but also enhances visual skills. For instance, it can improve eye-hand coordination, which is important for activities like handwriting, catching a ball, or playing musical instruments. These skills are essential for a child’s physical and cognitive development.
- Boost Confidence – Struggling with visual issues in elementary school can affect a child’s self-esteem and willingness to participate in class. Vision therapy can boost their confidence by addressing these challenges and helping them feel more comfortable in academic settings.
Vision Therapy in High School – Preparing for Success
As students get to high school, they often face greater academic challenges that require more complex visual skills. Additionally, this is the time that many students begin preparing for higher education opportunities or greater athletic goals. A vision therapy program at this age can help with:
- Reading and Studying – High school students are faced with more extensive reading assignments and the need to study for important exams. Vision therapy can help improve reading fluency, comprehension, and the ability to sustain attention while studying.
- Reducing Eye Strain Symptoms – With the rise in screen time, many high school students experience digital eye strain. Vision therapy can teach techniques to reduce eye fatigue and discomfort, promoting healthier screen habits.
- Athletic Performance – High school sports can be very competitive and students are often trying to prepare for athletic scholarships. Vision therapy can help athletes develop and strengthen visual skills such as hand-eye coordination, tracking and reaction time in order to give them an edge over their competition.
Vision Therapy for Adults – Improving Quality of Life
It’s never too late to improve your vision, so adults should be happy to know that vision therapy programs have many benefits at this age as well.
- Workplace performance – refined visual skills are needed for many aspects of a job, such as fine-detail work, computer work and presentations. Vision therapy can help improve reading and writing ability, concentration, as well as the ability to shift visual focus from close up to farther distances. These improvements can increase performance and productivity and reduce stress.
- Driving Ability – The ability to drive safely is crucial, especially as you age. Vision therapy can address issues like poor night vision, glare sensitivity, or difficulties with depth perception, enhancing road safety.
- Reduce Headaches – more than 15% of adults experience severe headaches or migraines. Both of these are common symptoms of a binocular vision problem (a condition in which the eyes don’t align properly). An adult vision therapy program can improve the communication between the eyes and brain, correct the binocular vision disorder and alleviate the headaches.
Family Vision Development Center is a Vision Therapy Specialist
The team at Family Vision Development Center has advanced training in a variety of effective vision therapy programs. After a comprehensive evaluation, we will custom tailor a program to meet your individual needs. We take pride in our one-on-one approach to vision improvement, and understand the significant impact that restoring or enhancing visual skills can have on the overall quality of life for our patients. Contact us at 630-862-2020 to learn more or to schedule an appointment today.
Family Vision Development Center is a full-service vision center offering innovative vision therapy services, post-concussive vision rehabilitation, comprehensive vision exams for eyeglasses and contact lenses, management of ocular diseases including glaucoma, diabetes, macular degeneration and cataracts, and a state-of-the-art optical center offering the latest designs in eyewear.